Sunday 10 February 2013

How to get the right bra size!

You can probably tell what this blog post is going to be about by the title but maybe not why I've chosen this. I really think its important for girls and women to be wearing the right bra for them. This usually doesn't mean you have one bra size and every bra labelled with that will fit you though. Unfortunately there's no quick fix!

I used to work as a bra fitter and found not only did I not know that much about it before I was trained, but also that most females didn't either. So don't worry if you know nothing and its all guess work! It is important though to get it right. No matter how big or small your breasts are they'll sag if its wrong, and small saggy boobs look just as bad a big saggy boobs. Trust me!

Firstly is the back size. This is where the support comes from so if its too big a see saw effect will happen. You do not want the back strap within reaching distance if your neck. Ideally it will be able to move about half an inch to an inch from your body if you pull it. This is when it's done up on the loosest setting so that as the bra gets older you can tighten it and it will last longer. Most women wear it too loose so it may feel tighter than you are used to. But as long as its not cutting circulation you'll be fine.

Next are the cups - this can be trickier as different sizes and shapes need different types of support. Unfortunately if you're large chested you're not going to find a pretty little lace boutique brand bra. But you can find nice pretty ones that will give you support.

The cups can vary but it is important to remember that the wire must sit flat to your breast bone at the front. It also needs to go outside of the breast tissue rather than on it at the side. Just make sure it doesn't dig into your armpit. Another thing to remember is that your boobs must not spill over the top or be cut in half by your bra cup. This gives no support but more importantly looks really bad!! Especially under clothes. No, it always looks bad, I changed my mind as I wrote it though!

Next are the straps. These need to be no longer than one inch above your shoulders when lifted. They also shouldn't be too tight so that it rides up and your boobs pop out the bottom. Ouch!

Once you think you're done lift your arms up and down, lean forwards and jiggle (technical stuff!) to make sure there is no slippage. If you've achieved all this then tada!! You're all sorted for this bra. Next time you buy one be sure to do the same again as they aren't necessarily all the same.


Hope you find this useful and can use it if you don't want to go to a professional bra fitter in a department store. You can now do it on your own. Xxx

If you have any questions feel free to ask below in the comments box and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. 

2 comments:

  1. I went to La senza to get fitted, turns out I had been wearing bras 2 cups too small.
    I know now how to do it properly.
    This post is great for people who have never been fitted though!

    - Michelle x x
    http://lovelymichelle-y.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Lots of my friends have asked for advice from me so I thought I'd share some of my knowledge with everyone. Glad you like it. Maria x

    ReplyDelete